Sunday, November 6, 2011

Time for a Laptop Refresh?

I was and always have been fond of screen with high resolutions. So last year, when I spent about £611 on a Thinkpad Edge which I thought I had pimped out, I was somehow expecting a larger resolution screen. This wasn't because of any misinformation on the part of Lenovo, but it was due to my ignorance. I just assumed that the thinkpad will have a higher resolution that the HP laptop that I previously owned. The thinkpad edge laptops, regardless of the size of the screen, max out at 1366 X 768 pixels. Not my cup of tea. So after using the laptop for exactly a year, I am giving up on it. The thinkpad will be gone. Selling the damn thing off!

Thus, I need a new laptop, or maybe I tweaked the machine I had in India when I get back but till then use the existing thinkpad. I gave up on it. I thought, I'd rather use a new laptop than some old low resolution thinkpad, which, to be fair could handle a fair deal. CS5 ran very smooth on it. So now for the new laptop, my budget was teetering on £1200. It was a pretty string budget and many good laptops fell into this category.

I have always been fascinated by the MacBooks. I loved their sleek designs and the aesthetically pleasing looks and the always talked about fast performance on them. So I checked a few out, and on eBay, I found a few good deals. One of them was the latest 15incher with the 500GB HDD, i7 et all, for a reasonable £1299. It did overshoot my budget by a £99 but then I was very much for it. But then, I began thinking about the future prospects of owning a MacBook. I am a PC, through and through, and also the occasional Linux user, but never a Mac user. So, it was obvious that I would be bootcamping the MBP as soon as I got it. To do this, I would have to shell out a few more quid on the Windows DVD. Along with this, I would this I would also have to install the Visual Studio 2008 and loads of other software I need for my extra-curricular educational needs. Another factor in my waning interest in the MBP was the screen resolution. For a full HD resolution, I would have to pay a bomb and also buy via the Apple Store online, which is the costliest of the lot when buying MBPs. So I was very much in two minds about it all.

So I now started looking at the line from Dell. There were quite a few laptops available on the dell line which were well under my budget. I was exited by the Alienware series and almost bought one, but stopped short when I realised that the 14x doesn't have a 1080p screen nor does it have it as an upgrade. I also checked the line by Asus, the G53SW which looks really pretty to be fair, also the Dell Precision series but none were much  of any interest to me. So again I landed on the Dell website, and struck jackpot with the XPS 15 series. This is not the 15z, which was recently released but the XPS 15 which I literally pimped out as and then forgot to add the backlit keyboard but was finally able to get the laptop for £1089. I got a £405 discount on the laptop. The configuration of this new machine is as follows:


XPS 502x : 2nd generation Intel Core i7-2670QM processor 2.20 GHz with Turbo Boost up
to 3.10 GHz
Display : 15.6" FHD B+RGLED True-Life (1920x1080) with 2.0 Mega Pixel Integrated Camera 1 S
LCD Back Cover : Metalloid Aluminum (WLAN) L501X 1 S
Memory : 8192MB (2x4096) 1333MHz DDR3 Dual Channel
Hard Drive : 750GB Serial ATA (7200RPM) 1 S
Optical Drive : 8x DVD+/-RW Optical Drive 1 S
Battery : Primary 9-cell 90W/HR LI-ION 1 S
Graphics : 2GB NVIDIA GeForce GT 540M Graphics card

I'd say pretty sweet for £1089. Should be here with me by 16th of November.

No comments:

Post a Comment