Saturday, November 5, 2011

The new Nigerian Scam - Bidding on eBay

This may not actually be a new thing, but it surely was the first time I experienced or even heard about it. It all happened to me when I listed my Nexus S for sale on eBay. My phone was "bought" in about 5 minutes after listing it. Immediately after, I got an eBay message asking for more pictures of my used Nexus S so as the buyer is sure that the device is actually in "pristine" condition as mentioned on the eBay listing.
So I, being overly involved in getting rid of the phone for the seemingly good selling price of £200, was very prompt in sending the pics. The mistake I did here was to mail them from the same email address as the one I use on eBay and PayPal. And I was happy to get another mail from the buyer telling me that she was happy with the condition of the device. So the next morning, I was dead surprised to get 3 mails telling me that I had been transferred £250 into my PayPal account but before it was to be credited to my account, I had to put in a shipping reference. This was the first time that I was selling anything in eBay and didn't know the exact procedure, so didn't make any effort to read the mails. Also got a personal mail from the buyer that i should send the device to Nigeria since she was buying it for her pastor son there. Also the buyer said that she was working in Syria ay the moment. I was touched by her deed of having a pastor son, So I was now in a hurry to ship the device asap,and get the amount credited to my account.
So that very day, I went ahead and posted it via DHL, spent £41 for it, with the to address in Nigeria. Only when I got back to my desk did I notice something fishy. The PayPal mail that I usually get from device@PayPal.co.uk was in reality from some mail address on the domain Europe.com. Sadly, till I realised that, I had already updated the eBay item with the shipping number thinking that it would finally have the amount credited to my account. And finally when I realised it, I immediately called the DHL center and asked them to return the device to the senders address. Sadly, the amount spent for sending the device is already gone, but a very good lesson learnt!.

No comments:

Post a Comment