Saturday, November 12, 2011

The Indian Tech Journalist

I have been following the technology space for the last few years now. Mostly since I started working. The iPhone wasn't something I looked forward to, but was a fan of the major camera totting phones of the yesteryears. These were dumb phones (the Sony Ericsson ones), but then there were the Symbian handset from Nokia which always used to freezing at some point in their lives.

The blogs and tech news websites that I followed in those days were engadget and some other blogs from amteur Indian bloggers who mainly mimmicked the American blogs. At that moment in time, ZDNet was another well set up website. So I also started following them, but they mainly seemed to write about the Silicon Valley happenings, which was a good read, but I rarely knew what was happening around me, as in, in India. Soon I found out that techtree.in (then it was techtree.com) is a good site for such activities. This was mainly because my knowledge about the world technological happenings wasn't that great and thus I kept on following techtree and this other site - tech2.com which later became tech2.in. At this time, Joshua Topolsky was the editor at engadget.com and had a very good team of technology journalists as well, with the likes of Nilay Patel and Joanna Stern. So I could say, I pretty much grew my already bubbling interest in the world of gadgets reading to their articles. They all moved out of engadget and set up shop at theverge.com, which is now my goto site for all the tech information that i need.

My point being that India does not have any good tech websites/blogs that cater to the geeks of the country. The big two which i mentioned arent anywhere as good as engadget or theverge, even techcrunch for that matter. They still think that symbian phones are cool. That one statement pretty much digs a hole for them.

Just writing about this is a bit frustrating for me, because reading the pathetic articles on these sites makes my blood boil. Its not like India doesnt have any good technology observers. Its just that it hasnt been thought out as a very good idea yet. Techtree and Tech2 have had some really good articles on games and other things but the look and feel of their sites and the content otherwise is just disastrous. I think that there is a lot of room for improvement in the technology journalism space for this country.

No comments:

Post a Comment