Friday, November 18, 2011

Saturation of the Mind


I have been planning to code and create a bittorrent client purely written in C# and .NET 4.0. I’ve pretty much set up machine as I it should be. All the required software has been downloaded and installed and all the updates too have been installed. The only trouble is that, for the last few days of this week, I have been super busy. This is due to the day job, the job that pays for all the gadget addictions.

There is this User Requirements that my one teammate was supposed to work on. Supposed to work on would be the wrong thing to say actually. He had completed the UR as per his understanding and as per the explanations met out to him by the tester who had written the user requirement. But, sadly, when the development was delivered, it was tested on some useless junk of data which we didn’t know so and now there have been a ton of defects. Now, usually it happens that whoever has done the development handles the defects and if needed guides the other members of the team in solving the defects. But as luck would have it, he is now in India, his assignment ended in the UK and now the people fixing the bugs are the ones who initially had no clue what the requirement was about. Its not like these other devs (which includes me) were sitting idle while he worked on this, they did have their own set of tasks to do and they did complete all of them. So all that’s left now is this one requirement, and its one of the most complex and vast requirements that have been delivered in a long time.

So the crux of the thing is that, every day, for the last 3 days, I’ve been coming home mentally exhausted! Its just that, I haven’t been that challenged at work recently and thus was starting this mini project of mine so as to keep me mentally active. But then, work is getting tedious. The trouble is that its not something that’s technically challenging. If it was, then it would’ve been fun. Its nothing but the functional bit which is draining me. So I was hoping it to be over by the end of the week but alas, that was not going to happen. Still have a few defects pending and to fix them, will have to spend most of my friggin weekend in the office. Also the testers are coming in to test their outstanding work and sadly we have to be there to help them technically as and when they need any help. Talk about baby-sitting, we’re doing some tester sitting.

So till the defects are all cleared out, I might as well get some light reading done about the bittorrent protocol. I need to understand it all first and then maybe I could start right from scratch. Its about time I got back to my roots!

No comments:

Post a Comment